Saturday, August 21, 2010

Uber-Training Day One In The Books

Reposted from
http://www.avonwalk.org/goto/Paul_Willett
Originally posted August 21, 2010

It was a good day to walk, despite the fact that it was HOT. Pushing triple-digits for the last three hours today, while the previous three long (20-mile or more) training walks were on days that were cloudy & at least 25 degrees cooler.

26.44 miles in 7:33:45 today, and when you take out the brief stops to refill on Gatorade or find a bathroom, I was averaging 16:35 per mile, an excellent pace.

Good news - the battery in my Garmin GPS watch will actually hang in there for the entire route. Not by much, but it did make it.

Bad news - the battery in my iPhone will NOT make it due to the power needs of RunKeeper. There's no Mophie Juice Pack available yet for the iPhone4, so I'll have to figure out something else.

Good news - the word from the Avon Walk folks this week was that the Saturday walk starts at 07:00 and the course closes at 18:30, so we have 11:30 to finish before they sweep us off the course into the shuttle buses. This was a concern of mine early in the training, but I now know that I can complete a flat-ish course in 7:30, so no worries!

Tomorrow, a small mountain range and we'll see how well I can do the morning after doing the full 26.2+!

Finally, thinking about it while walking today (one can have a LOT of time to think on a long walk...), I wonder if I can update this blog live from the walk rest stops in three weeks, using my iPhone. Anyone interested? Worth my time to try?

No comments: