Friday, August 6, 2010

I'm Walking HOW Far? And WHY??

Reposted from http://www.avonwalk.org/goto/Paul_Willett
Originally posted April 12, 2010

Why does someone want to commit months of training to walking 39 miles over two days?

There will be several thousand folks walking in Santa Barbara in September, and I'm sure there will be several thousand different reasons. In my case, I started out by looking for a physical challenge, an "excuse" to force myself to get more exercise and push my physical boundries now that I'm in the "50 to 59" demographic. I had toyed with the idea of running a marathon (and I still plan on running one -- soon, or at least soon-ish) but that's a big step from where I was, so a marathon & a half walk seemed to be a good middle ground.

But having found my personal physical challenge, I find myself fascinated and excited about the Avon Foundation cause, raising money to fight breast cancer. While I haven't had anyone in my immediate family dealing with breast cancer personally, I do have a mother, wife, daughters, sisters, and friends all of whom could potentially have to deal with this disease.

To recap, I can do some good for myself and my personal physical fitness goals while simultaneously helping raise funds for a truly outstanding cause? Great, it's a "two-fer"!! Months of physical strain, exertion, and exhaustion while training and then two long days on the beach? What's not to love? I'm excited about this plan!!

No comments: